Update – 28th November 2016
What’s happening in the merger?
- Hyde Group have dropped out, saying there were “practical issues that could not easily be overcome.”
- East Thames and L&Q have told us that they expect legal completion of the merger to happen by the 1st December 2016
- At that point, the first group of East Thames staff will transfer into L&Q.
- More staff will follow month by month. These transfers will be covered by the TUPE regulations – protecting staff terms and conditions.
- L&Q are currently consulting with staff about restructures which will happen after the 1st December 2016.
- More restructures are expected from the new financial year starting in April 2017.
- A new company will be formed called East Thames Ltd, comprising East Homes, East Potential and East Living.
- The final structure will be L&Q with the care and support department currently known as ‘East Living’ becoming a separate entity called ‘L&Q Living’ – a wholly owned subsidiary of L&Q group.
- By 1st April 2018 East Thames will no longer exist and all staff will be transferred across to L&Q.
What have UNISON been doing?
UNISON convenors Tony Power (from East Thames) and Venessa Denny (from L&Q) have been meeting regularly with HR, including a joint meeting with HR from both associations. Our concerns are to minimise job losses, to preserve UNISON recognition in the new organisation and to ensure that staff are offered the chance to move on to the best terms
L&Q and East Thames have confirmed that recognition of UNISON will continue in the new organisation and are planning on bringing in an updated recognition agreement.
Our new Fighting Fund Local Organiser Mary Stump will be supporting union recruitment and organisation in both merging organisations.
In East Thames, UNISON have submitted a pay claim for 2016-17 asking for a cost of living increase of 3% for all staff.
UNISON will be meeting with all members to get their feedback on the merger process – watch this space for dates.
UNISON update – East Thames Hyde Group L&Q merger (8th April 2016)
UNISON responds to merger announcement East Thames L&Q Hyde Group (Press release 7th April 2015)
Inside Housing story on UNISON’s response to the merger (11th April 2016)